Forums

16, gay male, Pentecostal/Charismatic background

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
December 15, 2008, 20:55

Thanks guys. I don’t know what exactly to say, but I’ll see what I can make come out.

I feel like if I needed to, I could write an eloquent essay on everything you would need to do in order to live a happy and productive life free from any crippling fear or shame. The only problem is that I have difficulty actually doing the things that I already know I need to be doing. I don’t really know what I need to be doing next. I have these principles, but no real concrete steps or anything. I thank God for the training and experiences that I’ve had, because I think without these things I would’ve snapped a long time ago or turned into one of those unmanageable teenagers you hear about from time to time. God is the only thing that keeps me sane and gives me hope that I can make it out of my current situation okay.

However, I feel like all of this is self-imposed, like I’m responsible for all of this. Like, if I just had a better attitude or if I just trusted people more and found some supportive friends then this would all just be so much better. I feel so frustrated. Again, I know what I have to do, but doing it is so difficult. I don’t know where to start, I really don’t… just keep praying for me that things will come.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
December 15, 2008, 22:20

Im sorry if I sound ignorant asking this but what do you feel responsible for?

Im just grappling in the dark here but Im sure we could all say at many stages in our life we have stacks of “if only’s” if only I wouldve couldve this or that but truth is we can only do what we can do with what we actually have in our reach or ability to do at the time and it may not be perfect and may fall short of our own expectation but dont be so hard on yourself, honestly, as you have said God is with you and he does cover your steps and doesnt expect perfection so why should you. Can you share what it is you need to do?

Youre voicing yourself well, it doesnt need to make any sense, although we do hear you and it does make sense, if that makes sense.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
December 15, 2008, 23:14

What do I feel responsible for?

I feel responsible for the way that I’m feeling right now, since I know that I have the ability to fix it and I also know that if I just kept a positive attitude about everything that I wouldn’t be feeling so bad right now.

I feel responsible for my isolation since I know that I avoid communicating with people about my personal problems and because of that I don’t have really close bonds with anybody around me.

I feel responsible for my difficult relationships with my family, because I don’t know what to say. I want to say something, but it seems that no matter what I say they never listen and so I avoid saying anything. But I feel like if anybody is going to change something, it’s going to be me, since I already know that my dad is so rigid and I have no idea how to fix the relationship. I’m sure that he does love me, but the way that he’s talked to me and his reaction to me whenever I’ve tried to communicate with him has just been horrible. I don’t even feel like I have any desire to really get a close relationship with my dad, but I do want it to be better than it is now. I feel like a lot of this rests on my shoulder, because as I said before if anything will change it will be me and at the moment, I see really two options – either just say that I don’t care about his influence anymore and mentally release myself from underneath it or just quietly suffer under it until I get out on my own. I’m worried though that both options could lead down a path that I don’t really want to go on. My idea of trying to discuss and work things out didn’t seem to work too well and I’m exhausted with him to the point where I feel like I don’t want to hear him talk to me anymore. And that thought brings me back to the place where I feel responsible for my bad attitude towards my dad and I know that I shouldn’t be feeling this way and I should just adjust everything and try to be positive…

And then I feel responsible for not seeking God out enough because I feel like if I just walked closer with Him then of course, things would start to look better or I would at least have a better attitude about the whole situation.

I feel really confused right now. 🙁 Am I totally nuts for feeling the way I feel? I was under the impression that it’s good to take responsibility for things and that accepting responsibility for those things that you can change was the first step to making things all better. Or maybe I’m doing this all wrong. Somebody help me make sense of this all. 🙁

JR

Joined in 2008
December 16, 2008, 01:19

Ah man how much does life suck sometimes! Things sound intense for you atm. You’ve obviously got a lot going on there, and I can totally see why you’d be be feeling so pressured and without a solid place to stand so to speak. I know it sounds lame and I hate it when people say this to me, but I’ll pray for ya 😉

I reckon you’ve really challenged your father on a few things, and he’ll probably need time to work all of this out for himself and reconcile with his beliefs, etc. It’s taken my family a little while also. Half of my family are loud and passionate lawyers and will argue ANYTHING like their life depends on it. In doing so with me they’ve kind of gotten most things off their chests just like they would if they were going through therapy. It’s their way of getting over that mental barrier called “change.” 😉 🙂 Keep the communication open if you can, pray for peace for your dad, and pray for his favour too 🙂

If you haven’t seen it already, the RIDICULOUSLY gorgeous John Barrowman explores all sorts of avenues to try to work out a few things here, for his own benefit. It’s riveting and it’s a good distraction for ya too 🙂 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sJnpEc2fZA (part 1 of 6)

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
December 16, 2008, 09:28

feel really confused right now. Am I totally nuts for feeling the way I feel? I was under the impression that it’s good to take responsibility for things and that accepting responsibility for those things that you can change was the first step to making things all better. Or maybe I’m doing this all wrong. Somebody help me make sense of this all.

No not nuts at all though you probably feel like you have lost it.

JR is right in that changes that take place with people take time to sink in, my Dad went through a strange no communication period with me when I was about 20, I tried everything to fix it but I ended up a complete mess, fact is He was processing the fact that I wasnt going to be what he hoped I would be and needed time to adjust and mourn the loss of that and its completely healthy and normal, I just didnt understand it at the time. I wasnt responsible for his reaction to my disclosing my sexuality and yes I was peeved at him for cutting off from me for a while and the fact I felt distant bugged me but now with what I know I realise that we cant “microwave” people into feeling better or situations into being better, there always seems to be an instant fix for this or that in society, even in church “pray and God with his heavenly ATM will just instantly give a remedy for a situation”

😯 As we know it doesnt work that way, mr time and his annoying tick tock 🙄 is always the go. My Dad came round and its as if that yucky stage never happened, I had to learn that I cant fix everything and what a release that was, things will get better over time for you. 😉

Have you connected with the guys on here?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 16, 2008, 14:03

i’m not sure if this will be any comfort to you or not gettingthere….but reading these recent posts remind me of me in my mid and late teenage years.

As Christians we often think we have to be perfect…..then we say we know that isn’t true ….but yet we still don’t let ourselves off the hook when we don’t reach certain standards. I ‘should’ be more loving ……I ‘should’ be more in control…….I ‘should’ be more righteous…….I ‘should’ read my bible and pray more…..and on and on it goes……..never remembering that we are human and God knows that.

patience with yourself, parents and God…..helps……oh and learning to live with ambiguities as well.

love

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
December 16, 2008, 21:09

This is just a little thing that happened today. My dad just asked me to check out a book called ‘When Bad Christians Happen to Good People’ from our library. The ironic thing is that this is the exact same book that I checked out a while back in order to help me deal with my dad. I don’t think he’s aware of that fact, but whatever. There is a lot of emphasis on Christian attitudes towards gay people in there, so it might be helpful I think if he reads it. Except I won’t be able to check out until 2nd semester, because school is almost out here.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 17, 2008, 13:04

thats funny isn’t it. …..we are all so human…..not wicked…..just human.

JR

Joined in 2008
December 18, 2008, 08:32

Hey Bryan, hows things? Doing ok?

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
December 18, 2008, 21:07

Hey mate, don’t forget that you have been empowered to make the right decisions for YOU. It’s easy to fall into the “woe is me” trap and blaming yourself for being a villian when you’re not … keep in contact 😉

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.214 seconds.