Forums

Shan - 19 year old country guy trying to make sense of things...

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Scotty101

Joined in 2007
September 23, 2010, 17:54

If they are interested in dialogue, (or even if they’re not) you could send them something like a link to Ben Gresham’s blog- or one of his videos.

Ian

Best way to help them understand I find… either that or people tend to realise they can’t respond, decide they can’t win and stop the conversation before they actually have to change what they think.

Thinking of you Shan!

muffins

Joined in 2010
September 23, 2010, 18:30

You know, reading this, maybe the reason Aaron is being so difficult about it is like a jealousy thing – you’re actually dealing with and coming to terms with your sexuality while he’s still stuck trying to fight it! As I’ve read on here before from AVB – first stage is denial 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 23, 2010, 20:59

Hi muffins

Yes, good point. Thanks for adding to the discussion. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 7, 2010, 13:18

you seem much stronger my dear friend…….I remember the time when an email like that would have put you in tailspin.

Eventually it is like water on a ducks back…….you just SOOOOOO know you are loved by God and nothing and no one can shake that.

Some people I dialogue with because they are respectful and willing to question. Some people have made up there minds and there only agenda is to convert me. I leave those people in their ignorance knowing talking with me will have little affect…….certainly no affect on me. I just be me…..happy, fulfilled…….and gay. Thats it. If people have a problem with that…….I see it as their problem…..not mine…….and dont take it on myself.

Eventually as things change those people will be so in the minority……..then……they might wake up.

hope that helps

Just a little reminder (I’m sure you’ve heard me say this before :bigsmile: )……..the enemy is not individuals, churches, political parties or organisations…the enemy is ignorance and when we attack the former we reinforce the latter.

N149

Joined in 2010
October 16, 2010, 22:32

Ann Marie: I completely agree. When this originated with Katrina I was happy to attempt to talk to her. All I got was the “Anti-gay 101” talk with optional “burn in hell” segment. Not worth my time.

Thanks for the encouragement Scottie 🙂

Muffins, I completely agree. From my point of view, he is so persuaded by his version of the truth in so many ways it is destructive to his growth in Christ. I still remember him attempting to tell us that, essentially, Christmas trees are evil….

AVB: I feel so much stronger. Again, I am writing this from the exact same place in Cronulla where this all started. I am just in awe of how much I have overcome since that night of the 22nd of March… I am still not completely out and proud, but I am so much more comfortable in my own skin.

I participated in Wear It Purple at work, had customers ask me why I was wearing purple and had no issue at all telling them I was supporting GLBT youth after the recent suicides in the U.S. I was amazed at the supportive reactions I got.

At the moment, I am out to the people in my life who matter, and I am happy with that.

Thanks for the continuing support everyone!

Shan

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 17, 2010, 01:38

AVB: I feel so much stronger. Again, I am writing this from the exact same place in Cronulla where this all started. I am just in awe of how much I have overcome since that night of the 22nd of March… I am still not completely out and proud, but I am so much more comfortable in my own skin.

I participated in Wear It Purple at work, had customers ask me why I was wearing purple and had no issue at all telling them I was supporting GLBT youth after the recent suicides in the U.S. I was amazed at the supportive reactions I got.

At the moment, I am out to the people in my life who matter, and I am happy with that.

Thanks for the continuing support everyone!

Shan

that has really blessed me to see how you are moving along in your journey…..one step at a time

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 17, 2010, 09:32

Hi Shan

I second what avb has written above. You’ve grown so much!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

As for Aaron’s idea that Christmas trees are evil!!!??? Thanks for that, I can’t stop laughing. How priceless. 😀 :bigsmile: 😀

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 17, 2010, 10:16

yep……from my experience accepting yourself as gay or lesbian and coming out is not necessarily the end of the journey. Often they are just the first hurdles……..enormous ones granted………but just the beginning of the journey to live authentically and at peace with oneself and the world.

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
October 17, 2010, 14:13

Just read through this whole thread (a 2 hour endeavor, with breaks). What an amazing journey! You are in such a better place than you were when you started this – having almost committed suicide. It is saddening that other people read this and don’t see the strides you have made. Do they want to undo all the good things that have happened and leave you back in that hotel room, about to kill yourself?

I am so glad you found freedom2be when you did. Your story is awesome.

I’m surprised you keep in contact with people who treat you the way that Aaron and Katrina do. I would have just cut ties, and I would have found it very difficult to not give them an earful as well. You are much more gracious than I am.

Really, who do people think they are putting their noses where they don’t belong! Who appointed them to be the almighty protectors of the faith? They are nothing but modern day pharisees who want to see you exchange the freedom and love of Jesus for shackles of self-loathing fashioned out of lies. We should feel sorry for them I guess.

The fruit in your life is all the evidence you need to know that God is at work. A depressed, suicidal boy has become a confident young man in a matter of months. Don’t forget that! Sometimes people try to convince me of all sorts of things, and they sound very convincing, but when you look at the fruit of their lives it looks very unattractive. So I tell them that there words are all good and proper, but I don’t want to believe them because I don’t want to act like them. That usually shuts them up.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 20, 2010, 14:38

yep…..I think Shan has broken the record here for replies…….hehe :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I think its great dont you that we have this here and can see the journey people can go on from questioning through to total acceptance…….along with all its ups and downs. Its far better than just having a one off story……..and of course we get to be a part of their journey and support them.

shan is doing well isn’t he.

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.233 seconds.