Forums

Shan - 19 year old country guy trying to make sense of things...

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

N149

Joined in 2010
March 30, 2010, 13:06

Sweeeet… Thanks Anthony 😀

N149

Joined in 2010
April 1, 2010, 12:55

OK.

So I was up to nearly 3am last night writing this letter. No doubt the hardest thing I have ever done.

My aim is for 3 pages, No more, no less. I just want to make sure I get everything I need to in it.

Ill be posting the very rough draft on here when i am happy with it for anyone’s thoughts.

Shan

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
April 1, 2010, 13:52

Heh… sorry, you being up so late is probably partly my fault, what with my constant talking and all. 😛 Oh well, I hope it was still helpful. 🙂

N149

Joined in 2010
April 1, 2010, 20:17

Oh no! That was fine! LOL. My iTunes account disagreed after you introduced me to new music LOL… But I did really appreciate your insight and thoughts 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 1, 2010, 22:26

OK.

So I was up to nearly 3am last night writing this letter. No doubt the hardest thing I have ever done.

My aim is for 3 pages, No more, no less. I just want to make sure I get everything I need to in it.

Ill be posting the very rough draft on here when i am happy with it for anyone’s thoughts.

Shan

I think no more than three pages is good.

think construction…..what do you parents need to hear first.

then build to the facts……..finish with a good positive statement and give them back thier power to respond appropriately.

dont mention any negatives.

.,…..I”ve really got to find the time to write all this stuff up in more detail

N149

Joined in 2010
April 1, 2010, 23:08

Basically what i have so far is the first page is similar to my story that begun this forum… In less detail. I don’t want Mom to know the full details.

Then move on the the hardest sentence I have written followed by what she will be wanting to ask…

I kinda feel bad giving this to her and asking her to keep it to herself… Thinking I should nominate someone (I have a family friend in mind) for her to talk to… I don’t want this getting out… you know… Small towns…

Anthony, I got a copy of your book. I haven’t been a reader for many years, But I read through half of it in one night… Finally put it down at like 4am! Up to chapter 11… Amazing!

Sorry… Just had to add that 😀

IanJ

Joined in 2009
April 2, 2010, 09:05

Shan,

You’ve been having some very long nights! but it sounds like you are making good preparations. This is such a liberating time for you!! Getting your head together. When I left my family it was months before I even knew that Anthony’s book existed, before I found Christian gay people (I wasn’t even sure that they existed!) and before I knew that God loved all of me. So you’re way ahead of some of us!!

The structure for your letter seems good. I think the idea of providing someone your mother can talk to is a really good idea. If she’s into the internet, then you could give her a few websites? (or print stuff off?). PFLAG might be a good one: http://www.pflagaustralia.org.au/ Also, they may provide resources and telephone advice. She needs to be able to work through this- and giving her options on how to do that will be helpful for her.

Keep up the dialogue with us- as you’ve found there are lots of people who have been there- and are wlling to support you.

Ian

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 2, 2010, 09:19

Hi Shan

Yes I wholeheartedly second what Ian has written. A gentle, gay-accepting and celebrating parent would be a perfect support person for your mum to talk with. PFLAG or anyone else you know who fits that bill would be ideal for her. One possibility is that you could even introduce her to someone ahead of time without telling her where they’re from until you’re ready. That way she has a familiar face or resource to call upon at a later time…and this could help her adjustment to your news. But you know your mum whereas I don’t, so think about how she usually gets through what could be a potential crisis. What strategies help her? What strategies help you when you’re adjusting to change? Things that would help you if you were in her shoes may very well be of assistance to your mum too.

You’re doing really well. Keep us informed. I look forward to hearing more.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

N149

Joined in 2010
April 2, 2010, 21:29

Ian & Ann… Thanks so much for your advise… I am honestly not sure about PFLAG for starters… Might have a look through for material and print it out… Thinking best to keep to Christian stuff as I anticipate that will be her first worry… Second to that health issues *rolls eyes*

The friend I have nominated is a strong Christian… Not 100% sure about her being down with everything… but I can trust her which is the main thing for me at the moment…

I have been getting about 3 hours sleep every night… … I am feeling absolutely sick for the last week and have barely eaten and cant keep down what I have.

This is causing me so much stress it is unbelievable… The earliest opportunity for me to leave this letter is late June, I wish I could do it earlier. As stupid as it sounds this letter feels like a huge burden and I just need to get it done. I want to just blurt it out but I don’t think that would be best for the situation.

Anyone up for a random add on facebook?

S

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 2, 2010, 22:12

Hi Shan

Oh no, it’s not good that this is causing you so much angst and stress to the point that you can’t keep food down. 🙁 Just remember that whatever your Mum’s response, you are still you, well supported at f2b and loved by God. I understand that you want your Mum to be accepting but others’ opinions don’t define who we are and you will cope even if things are not as you would like. And anyway, she may just need time to come around to the idea, which is not the end of the world for you. Alternatively, the outcome may be better than you expect.

Is there any way you can send the letter sooner than June?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.171 seconds.